Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pausch's Last Lecture!

Personally I applaud him from being open with his cancer as he started the lecture. The fact that he could stand there and tell everyone that he only had 2-5 months of good health, really made me think highly of him, especially when he added he wanted no sympathy. Just by those few words you automatically knew this was going to be good.
He spoke of his dreams of wanting to play in the NFL, and be a Disney Imagineer was two things that stuck out to me. He states how much he wanted to achieve his goal of playing in the NFL but never achieved it. He said that he gained more by not achieving it, than he would have by playing. He stated a quote from a coach basically saying that if you do something that goes unnoticed, no one was paying attention to begin with.
Pausch wanted to help others achieve their dreams since he had achieved his own. He was telling about his classroom when he was a professor, and receiving papers and not knowing what to do. His mentor told him to go back and tell them what a good job they had done, but he knew they could do better. Through his advice the students only kept excelling.
He ended his lecture saying that if you live your life the right way, good things will happen. He said the lecture was dedicated to his three children. I hope I can take what he says and build my teaching career upon his suggestions. A man of his degree is a legend in my book and I would have been honored to meet him before he passed away.

1 comment:

  1. Raise the bar! Right!I hope you will build your teaching career on his excellent suggestions for teaching!

    ReplyDelete